This recipe is excellent with a Pinot Noir or a red wine that is a blend (e.g., blends of zinfandel, cabernet and merlot). You can use regular pasta, but we use "Barilla Plus" (in the yellow box). It has far more protein and tastes MUCH better than whole wheat pasta. (I believe there is as much protein in 2 ozs of Barilla Plus as there is in a serving of shrimp. something like 17 grams or so.)
* 3 red peppers, washed, cored, sliced and diced
* 3 yellow peppers, washed, cored, sliced and diced
* 3 orange peppers, washed, cored, sliced and diced
* 1 bag of already cut broccoli, or 3 heads of broccoli chopped up to bite-size pieces
* 1 bag of frozen peas
* 1 large white onion diced
* 2 TBSP minced or pressed garlic (pressed garlic has a stronger flavor)
* 3 TBSP Olive OIl
* 2 tsp dried basil leaves
* 1/2 to 1 tsp of Salt (according to taste)
* 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of coarse black pepper (according to taste)
* 1 lb of angel hair
* In a very large skillet (mine is 12 inches in diameter), over MEDIUM heat warm the Olive Oil and add the onions and garlic. Stir a couple of minutes.
* ADD the peppers and broccoli and salt and pepper. Stir for 5-10 minutes to your preferred level of tenderness.
* ADD the frozen peas and basil and heat through.
* in the meantime, cook the pasta according to the directions on its label.
* After draining the pasta and completing the Veggies, pour the Veggies over the pasta and serve.
* If you would like, freshly grated Parmesan is an excellent topper for this pasta.
* You may want to add a bit more Olive Oil to the pasta before adding the veggies. It is up to you.
* If you are avoiding dairy, then adding some Nutritional Yeast Flakes as a topping is actually quite yummy, too.
You will not need a salad in addition as the veggie sauce will be more than enough veggies for the meal.