(DISCLOSURE: This meal definitely takes MORE than 30 minutes. Once you have it prepped, it bakes for 30 minutes. IT IS SO WORTH the extra time!!! DELISH!!!)
The first picture is of the under layer of the Shepherd's Pie, and the second photo is of the finished product with the mashed potato/cauliflower blend on top.
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 Cups cauliflower florets
- 2 TBSP Vegan Butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 TBSP Curry Powder
- 1 1/2 Cups home-cooked dark red kidney beans, or 1 (15 ozs can), drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas, thawed
- 3 Cups fresh baby Spinach, chopped
- 1 (14 ozs) can diced Tomatoes, well drained
- 1 Cup unsweetened coconut milk
Steam the potatoes and cauliflower over boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Mash the potatoes and cauliflower with the butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly oil a shallow baking dish and set aside.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots, cover and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Add the beans, peas, spinach, tomatoes and coconut milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Spread the reserved potato and cauliflower mixture evenly on top. Bake until hot, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.