Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chick Pea "Tuna" Salad

My mother-in-law made this when we visited, but I do not know where she got it. I am copying it from an index card. This is a mixture that tastes somewhat similar to tuna salad, but as I never liked actual Tuna salad, I find that I like this MUCH better. It is very good served inside pita bread.

"* 2 cans chick peas, rinsed & drained & coarsely chopped (pulse in food processor until chopped, but not so long that it smooths out like hummus)
* 1 TBSP kelp or dulse flakes
* 1/2 cup chopped celery
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 2 TBSP lemon juice
* 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
* 2 TBSP veganaise
* salt & pepper to taste

Combine and mix in a large bowl."

I personally like to add curry, sweet apples, and raisins to this dish, but Macon prefers it without.  You can always make it like normal and add in whatever extra items you like afterwards. (the dulse flakes can be hard to find...I have not tried making it without them, though, so I don't know if the flavor is largely affected or not.) If you try it, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment