Monday, April 1, 2013

Chickpea Curry in a Hurry

This is a recipe I got from Carol, my mother-in-law, a couple of years ago.   I LOVE how easy and fast it is! This has made it a staple in the Stokes home.

(only takes 15 minutes, if you can cook your rice quickly, or already have some ready)

--1 (14.5 ozs) can Rotel (original flavor)
 --1 (10 ozs) package of frozen chopped spinach
--1 (15 ozs) can of Chickpeas (sometimes labeled as Garbanzo Beans) (drain and rinse these)
--1/2 cup water
--1 Tablespoon minced garlic
--2 teaspoons curry powder
--1/3 cup grated coconut  (sweetened or unsweetened...whatever you like) (pack it into the 1/3 cup so it is not a loose fluffy pile)
--1/2 tsp salt (or to taste...may leave it out if you like)

1)  combine and stir everything but the spinach in a large pot.  
2)  Place block of spinach on top.  
3) place heat on high and bring to boil
4) reduce heat to medium and put lid on pot 
5)  leave alone for 5 minutes
6) remove lid, and break up spinach block with a fork.  Stir.
7) replace lid, continue cooking on medium heat for 5 more minutes.
8)  DONE

either serve with basmati rice from a separate container, or you can cook up 1/2 cup of basmati (don't know exactly what that yields in the end, but if I use a 1/2 cup of dry basmati rice, I cook it with 3/4 cup of water).   after it is cooked, I just stir it in with the chickpea curry in a hurry and have one big dish.  

I find this a tad bit spicy, so I add some vanilla Whole Soy yogurt to my serving and wrap it in Garlic Naan.  Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment